db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Schedule for beta and release of 10.1
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:52:25 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> However, I do not want to rush out the first version of the client as
> that will suddenly give us a legacy codebase.

Whatever happened to release early, release often?? ;-) ;-)

<snip other discussion about release implications of new client code>

I'd agree that there is a lot of room for discussion surrounding the
new client code and setting proper expectations for maintenance and
compatibility before putting it in an official release. It looks like
we've got a pretty good set of parameters for that going already.

On May 4, 2005, at 3:22 AM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> * what are our plans for globalization?
>     Right now the client only has English messages.

An excellent question. Looking through the client code, it doesn't
appear that there are message files for the client error messages. I'm
guessing that means that a significant amount of work would be involved
to separate the messages from the code and to use the LocalizedResource
classes that the rest of the Derby code uses for localized error
messages. Perhaps there should be a jira entry for this.

That said, I will be glad to volunteer to be the release manager for
the next release, unless some other committer would prefer to take on
the task. If not, I will start a new thread to discuss expectations and
requirements for a Derby 10.1 release.

andrew