db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 23:43:21 GMT
On 5/24/05, David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
> I think the XML functionality will be of great interest to users, and
> they would like to play around with it.
>
> If there was a way we could document this as "experimental work" and
> were explicit about its level of maturity, this would be reasonable.
> I'm not sure what "support" means for an open source project...

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that, even for an open source project,
having an official release implies a certain level of code quality. If
Army doesn't think his code is going to be production-quality in the
timeframe of the release we're currently discussing, I think it should
be left out, even if it were to be undocumented.

And there are a couple of different ways for users to get access to
this new feature for testing: anyone interested in early access can
apply Army's patch to their view and try out the code once it is
available, or as soon as the release is done, we can put up a snapshot
of the latest trunk version that includes the XML support for users to
try out.

andrew