db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject looking for opinions on reasonable hardware requirements for tests in standard derby suite
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 20:21:26 GMT
What is a reasonable maximum size of a table to be included in
a the standard derby all test suite?  For most tests size of
the table does not matter much, but for a few tests I am looking
at writing I need there to be multiple allocation pages which
then leads to fairly large tables.  For instance I just found
an issue that I didn't see before, but showed up when I used
a 250meg table.

I think there is also a need for a separate test suite which is
meant to be run on machines with large resources, but is not
reasonable to include in a test that every developer runs.  For
instance there should be a test which verifies derby functions
correctly on > 4 gig tables (to be run on OS/JVM's which support
> 4 gig files).  There should be some tests that
test upper bound of clob and blob.

Another category would be long running stress tests.  It would
be nice to have a set of tests that run longer than seconds
to minutes, but not reasonable to expect everyone to include
10 hour stress test runs in their nightly checkins.

I would still like almost all tests to be included in derbyall,
but it would seem reasonable for there to be a small suite
which hopefully could be set up to be automatically run on
some interval - worst case at least before a release.