db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject IRC Chat about tests and harness + question about nist failure
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 16:56:35 GMT
This  morning rather than talking about DERBY-213, Philip and I ended up
talking mostly about running tests.
He had tried to do a baseline derbyAll run and had hit  a bunch of
failures.   We looked a little at some of the failures and talked about
how some day soon someone will get fed up with the test harness and get
us set up with JUnit.  We mused on  who will get fed up first.

Here are some possibly useful  tips that emerged from our conversation.

     *  The test harness doc is at java/testing/README.htm
     *  When writing a test you need to use the standard mechanism for
obtaining connections, (ij.startJBMS instead of DriverManager)
    *  When debugging a test it is good to have a visual diff tool to
diff the test output with what is under the master directory.
    *   You can run individual tests  for a given framework with the
framework property.
e.g.
 embedded:
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

JCC
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true -Dframework=DerbyNet
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

client
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
-Dframework=DerbyNetClient
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

We looked at some failures in nist but were not ablet o resolve.

*** Start: schema5 jdk1.4.2_03 nist:nist 2005-05-31 05:12:04 ***
37a38
> ERROR 42611: The length, precision, or scale attribute for column, or
type ma
pping 'VARCHAR(33000)' is not valid.
107a109
> ERROR 42Z93: Constraints 'xxxxGENERATED-IDxxxx' and
'xxxxGENERATED-IDxxxx' ha
ve same set of columns, which is not allowed.
118a121
> ERROR 42X05: Table 'T0513' does not exist.
Test Failed.

I see those too when I run nist.  Does anyone else see this?

Kathey