db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: All of derby_all fails when environment corresponding derbyLocale_**.jar exists in CLASSPATH
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 14:33:37 GMT
TomohitoNakayama wrote:
> Hello.
>
>>The others I don't know for sure but they're all network server tests.
> Can you please post a diff for one of these so I get an idea?
>
> I uploaded one.
> Please see  http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~tomohito/20050528/maxthreads.diff
> Seeing result , just message was in Japanese.
>

>>Would it be totally unacceptable to document we expect the test harness
> to be run in en_US locale? Naka,
>
> Well ...
> Phenomena found this time was not so serious.
> So I think it is acceptable now, if notion of system property to escape
> the problem was explained.

I think the test suite has to have a known environment to allow it to
run successfully on widely different machines. Examples of this known
environment are the expected locale, character set encoding for the
scripts etc. Ideally the test harness should set this environment itself.

> But on the other hand, I wonder more deep issue about i18n may appear in
> some day.
> So there exists some anxiety for limiting test environment only to en_US .
>
> //locale problem can be very serious problem in Asia including Japan....

However, there should also be specific tests which require and set
different environments, such as Japanese locale.

Dan.