db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Running derbyall before submitting patches
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 04:36:42 GMT
Hm, it's tricky to just count on the developer submitting the patch to
run derbyall.  A common mistake, for example, is that the developer
hasn't done 'svn add' for a new file, so their tests work, but the patch
submitted doesn't have all the necessary files.  Also, the developer may
have old classes sitting around or who knows what funny stuff in their
environment that makes it work for them.  Also also, the developer
usually tests on a specific VM and OS, and it would be great if at least
one other VM or OS were tried before committing.

What we *really* need is a good full nightly regression across all
platforms and VMS, but until we have that, I think we need to have at
least *one* person run derbyall besides the submitter of the patch.
This does not necessarily have to be a committer.

I'm not sure how this could be managed; perhaps each developer could
"buddy up" with someone, and each of them agree to test out each other's
patches...

The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes a developer forgets to
run 'svn update' and 'ant clobber' and 'ant all' before running tests.

We should probably write up a "checkin checklist", vote on it, and add
it to the web site...

David

P.S. I did run derbyall on the two recent patches I submitted.  I'll add
that to my comments when I submit patches from now on.