db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Running derbyall before submitting patches
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 16:17:59 GMT
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The last week or two, derbyall has failed a lot the time. This makes
> it hard to verify that I haven't goofed up things when doing changes
> in the code (I run derbyall daily as a quality measure). To be able to
> work efficiently, many of us are dependent on a reliable test suite.
>
> So, I urge everyone who submits a patch to the Derby to run derbyall
> on at least one platform/vm and not only the "relevant" tests for the
> patch, even if you "know" that it should not be necessary. I think
> this would save us all a lot of work (even more time saved for the
> committers, I guess :-).

This is good advice, especially for people new to the project. Knowing
which tests might be affected by a fix comes with experience and
experience is obtained by running derbyall and seeing what fails. In
some ways it's easier just to run derbyall, I try to do that for all my
contributions, usually running overnight.

I think Satheesh and myself have requested that with any patch the
contributor should indicate which test suites have been run. And not
just for the first submission of a patch, if the patch is reworked then
the e-mail should indicate again which tests have been run. I tend to
only look at the most recent submission for a patch, not the complete
history. I think Satheesh also said that he would only look at any
patches that did indicate which tests had been run.

Another job for the committers is to stop applying any patches if the
number of tests failing on derbyall passes some threshold. Then only
commit (or revert) patches that resolve the failures.
Looking at the latest results from the Sun group, we have an average
pass rate of around 98.7% (~8 tests failing) and minimum pass rate of
around 98.0% (12 tests).
Not sure what the threshold should be, but we may be close at this
point. One or two tests failing is somewhat easy to "work-around" when
submitting patches, 8-12 is harder (just to remember which fail and
compare). Our goal should be 100% passing all the time.

Dan.