db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject DERBY-31: More on semantics for Statement.setQueryTimeout: ResultSet.updateRow
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 13:00:40 GMT
Previously, we agreed that the query timeout should apply to
Statement.execute() as well as each individual call to ResultSet.next().

New question: Should the query timeout apply to ResultSet.updateRow() as
well. For orthogonality, the question (although this is more of
theoretical interest) also applies to ResultSet.deleteRow()?

My initial gut feeling is that it should not; even though updating e.g.
a large blob may take a while, I still think timing out on an operation
like this would be more annoying than useful to the user.

--
Øyvind Bakksjø
Sun Microsystems, Web Services, Database Technology Group