db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 22:36:23 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

>From: "Kathey Marsden" <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>
>

>>I think the  workaround for DERBY-246, to leave the logical connection
>>open until the end of the global transaction, should be documented in
>>the release notes.
>>

>Hi Kathey,
>
>Unfortunately, this is not a workaround. For example, see section 4.2 of JTA
>spec which describes how an application server would use logical
>connections.

Firstly I want to say that I am motivated to get this fixed. I just
don't  think I can get it fixed in the time frame for the 10.1 release.
I don't think it should stop the release.

The example says:
"The figure that follows illustrates the usage of
JTA. The steps shown are for illustrative purposes, they are not
prescriptive:"
In this example, with our workaround, I think steps 11 and 12 would move
down to the end.

I talked with the folks that use XA at Websphere. They said.
"in WAS, we don't close the connections until after they are no longer
in  transactions (closing, means put them in the pool to be used by others)"

So it seems like it is a workaround.    Could you offer a scenario where
it is not  a reasonable workaround
Perhaps Jeremy has some perspective as well as to the XA impact.   Jeremy?

Thanks

Kathey