db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 16:50:12 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>> This approach is a great
>> chance for the open source Darwin approach, see what the users like,
>> see how much confusion (e.g. questions in derby-user) there is with a
>> single data source with all properties vs. multiple data sources with
>> specific properties.
>>

> Should I roll it into the main tree then? Then we can have both there in
> the alpha/beta versions and get can feedback from users early.

That sounds good, I was under the impression that it wasn't anywhere
near ready. I would caution against just committing it yourself directly
into the trunk, but post as a patch so that it can be voted on. This
seems to fall into the 'Doubtful changes, new features ...' paragraph of
the changes section in

http://db.apache.org/source.html

Some of my discussion on this has also been looking at the bigger
picture, how long should a release manager wait for a patch for a
release if it is not a showstopper. E.g. if a contributor says they will
take two months to complete a feature, then I would say it's better
value to the community to get a release out now, rather than wait two
months. If the estimate was a few days but the patch didn't appear for a
few weeks, I would again say any release shouldn't wait for a single
non-show stopper item. Release early, release often means the next
release can include such a feature.

Dan.