db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 16:50:12 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>> This approach is a great
>> chance for the open source Darwin approach, see what the users like,
>> see how much confusion (e.g. questions in derby-user) there is with a
>> single data source with all properties vs. multiple data sources with
>> specific properties.
> Should I roll it into the main tree then? Then we can have both there in
> the alpha/beta versions and get can feedback from users early.

That sounds good, I was under the impression that it wasn't anywhere
near ready. I would caution against just committing it yourself directly
into the trunk, but post as a patch so that it can be voted on. This
seems to fall into the 'Doubtful changes, new features ...' paragraph of
the changes section in

Some of my discussion on this has also been looking at the bigger
picture, how long should a release manager wait for a patch for a
release if it is not a showstopper. E.g. if a contributor says they will
take two months to complete a feature, then I would say it's better
value to the community to get a release out now, rather than wait two
months. If the estimate was a few days but the patch didn't appear for a
few weeks, I would again say any release shouldn't wait for a single
non-show stopper item. Release early, release often means the next
release can include such a feature.

View raw message