db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 13:58:42 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> If we rush a release out now and unify later, users see:
>
> 10.1  new ClientDataSource and EmbeddedSimpleDataSource
> 10.x  new DerbyDataSource, deprecation of Client, EmbeddedSimple
>       and Embedded
>
> If x = 1.1 or 2 then what we did in 10.1 looks silly and, because it is
> a public API, we live with it forever (or a couple of years at least).

I don't see it as silly, but the unified datasource being an feature
that might obsolete the other data sources. This approach is a great
chance for the open source Darwin approach, see what the users like,
see how much confusion (e.g. questions in derby-user) there is with a
single data source with all properties vs. multiple data sources with
specific properties.

I'm really think it would be the best to get the derby client into a
release so that people can use it and thus report bugs against it. I'm
concerned that if we wait until it is perfect we will never make a
release. It seems that we are doing a poor job at "release early release
often".

If we are trading "supporting" a standard api (current DataSource's) for
a couple of years against wider use of the derby client sooner (leading
to higher quality etc.) then to me the wider use sooner provides the
greater benefit (and the "supporting" for a couple of years is almost
zero cost).

Dan.