db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 12:53:57 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> If we rush a release out now and unify later, users see:
>
> 10.1  new ClientDataSource and EmbeddedSimpleDataSource
> 10.x  new DerbyDataSource, deprecation of Client, EmbeddedSimple
>       and Embedded

I am concerned about the packaging of the DerbyDataSource  I think that
adding a jar file is very problematic in terms of

    1) Ease of use.  More and more more time spent on classpath issues.
         How long did Tomohito spend on db2jcc_license.jar?  How long
did you spend on oromatcher?
    2) Problems with the jdbc driver not being in one jar file.
        We've had reports of people having to manually combine
db2jcc_license.jar and db2jcc.jar to get the IBM
         driver working in some instances.
    3)  Confusion about how the common jar file comes into play when
mixing client and server versions.

Maybe the DerbyDataSource could just be a nice wrapper around the
others.  An add on jar file like the war file for the servlet, but not
necessary to core operation.  So it becomes:

10.1  new ClientDataSource and EmbeddedSimpleDataSource
10.x  new DerbyDataSource, in additon to  Client, EmbeddedSimple
      and Embedded

That way we can forge ahead with both the release and a unified
datasource and perhaps better packaging options will become apparent for
future releases.

Kathey