db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 23:09:19 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> - Scanning through the list, I noticed Army mentioned basic XML
> support. Army, any estimate on when this might be contributed? Or is
> this for a future release?

I'm hoping to submit this support sometime later tonight or tomorrow.  But that
said, I do _NOT_ think we want to officially include XML support in this
release.  It's an entirely new feature that adds a good amount of code, and some
of it is based on SQL/XML standards that aren't yet solidified (they're in
working draft only).

I imagine it will take some time to get a thorough review, and I also imagine
that there are things I'll have to change in response to people's feedback.  If
your suggesting a release in the next two weeks, that seems too risky to me.

I _do_ think it'd be good to get the support into the trunk codeline soon so
that people can play with it and make comments--but I think it should remain
undocumented and strictly unofficial until a later release.  I.e. maybe it goes
into the release jars, but we don't document the release as having official XML
support...is that possible/desirable?  If not, then I guess it'd be best to wait
until after the release is cut before submitting to the trunk...

Does that make sense?
Army