db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 02:36:13 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

[snip]

> Well, there is a strawman in the branch and we've not been discussing it
> long.

[snip]

> Early implementation is one thing, but you want to get the public
> interfaces right, or at least easily extensible, from the start so you
> don't end up regretting something forever.

True, but in this case the public api is defined by class name(s) (that
implements DataSource) and a set of JeavBean properties, and what those
properties mean and how they interact with each other.

Thus we should not have a Java code strawman but instead a table of
properties, like table 9.1 in section 9.4 in JDBC 3.0 spec.
Though in the unified case the table would need additional columns to
indicate what they mean in each mode, emebedded, client etc.

I think that would be the best way to look at this, see how many
properties are common to each mode, how many could confuse users, e.g.
portNumber for embeddded (especially when running embedded with an
embedded network server). How complicated any rules are. etc.

Property overload for the user is what I'm concerned about.

Dan.