db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 01:07:18 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> Jeremy's proposed changes for the unified DataSource are extremely
> unlikely to break anything (IMNSHO) since they just move stuff around a
> little bit without changing how it works.

Actually it's more than just moving code, part of Jeremy's proposal is
switching how connections are created, from an internal scheme based
upon JDBC URLs to an internal scheme based upon JavaBeans(DataSource).
Since getting connections and booting databases is completely designed
around the existing scheme, such a change is more complicated that it looks.
Though maybe the internal re-work could be separated into a follow on
project, a common data source api could still use the current internal
mechanism.

> I think the only question is
> whether they are a good idea or not: if they are a good idea then making
> the changes now in this release is very desirable to avoid future
> changes in the network client.   Surely it should be possible to
> evaluate reasonably quickly whether the changes result in a simpler and
> improved user experience.  As you may have guessed, I think they do :-)

Not sure how we would evaulate quickly, I'm not convinced the scheme is
easier and it may be more confusing to users.

The other issue is do we hold up releasing 10.1 and the derby client to
resolve this? Especially as we don't have any actual code or patch
implementing it. How long would we wait and how does that tie into
release early, release often?

And that brings me to one solution, release soon without this change (as
it doesn't exist), release once it does exist, and then let the users
tell us which approach is better. Covers release early/often and the
darwin aspect of open source.

Dan.