db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: upgrading trouble ... (Re: Patch again for DERBY-167.)
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 21:27:50 GMT
TomohitoNakayama wrote:

> Hello.
>

> ij version 10.1
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:oldver;update=true';
> URL Attribute [update=true]
>    Attribute is unknown to Derby.
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:oldver;upgrade=true';
> ij(CONNECTION1)> exit;

> And more, if I does not execute mitaken command "connect
> 'jdbc:derby:oldver;update=true';",
> I didn't see above phenomena.
> //And my modification of DERBY-167 works after hard upgrade.
>
> And more I wonder why prompt was showd as "ij(CONNECTION1)>".....

The upgrade=true has to be set on the connection that boots the
database, the first connection to the database. In your example where
you use update=true, that booted the old database in soft upgrade mode.
Hard upgrade did not happen because the connection with the correct
upgrade=true was not the first so it was a normal connection to the
database.

A warning if the upgrade has no effect might be a good idea, either
no-upgrade required or upgrade on booted database not possible.

Dan.