db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Please add descriptive Jira comments when fixing bugs
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 15:55:55 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>> You could either 1) post the patch and sample output together as a zip
>> or jar file to jira, or 2) post the patch and sample output together
>> to derby-dev instead of Jira. Or, 3) post both as separate attachments
>> to jira as you describe. I don't think anyone will mind one extra
>> mail, as long as its the changes are easy to review. But, if you post
>> the patch and sample output together in a single mail to derby-dev,
>> then there's only one mail to review. :-)
>>

> I prefer 1 or 3 for the following reasons:
>
> - It keeps the patch tightly coupled to the Jira issue
> - If the patch isn't quite right, a new one can be uploaded and the old
> one removed. One problem with posting patches to derby-dev is it can be
> difficult to know if you've seen all the patches for a thread and have
> the "right" one.

One more reason for 1 or 3:

- Uploads the file(s) to just one place and avoids emailing the patch to
everyone on the derby-dev list, which is currently at 220 subscribers
according to http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html . Anyone
interested in the patch can readily download it from Jira.

I don't mind an additional Jira notification for option 3. Email filters
can easily organize list traffic.

Keeping it in Jira provides a single review spot. And if the reviewer
also posts the verdict to Jira, then it really does keep it to one spot.

  -jean