db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Please add descriptive Jira comments when fixing bugs
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 03:15:45 GMT
Actually, I think my "resolving" these doc issues when all I have done
is apply the posted patch is completely incorrect.

Probably the correct action is to add a comment that the patch was
applied. Then whomever reported the problem needs to verify that the
patch fixed the issue, then resolve the issue as 'fixed'.

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean, thanks for marking all the doc bugs as fixed but I would strongly
> encourage you and anyone else to provide a descriptive comment when
> marking a bug as fixed. I believe a well maintained bug tracking system
> with complete data is essential for a quality project.
> For several of the bugs that you closed today I can't tell from the Jira
> entry if the issue was fixed by changing the functionality or just the
> documentation to match the existing functionality.
> A comment such as 'Patch committed revision 169667.' (Derby-164) doesn't
> tell me immediately what was done. I try to include the svn commit
> comment in any bug I mark as fixed.
> I know I could find the details of revision 169667 (but I can never
> remember how) but it takes time, spending the time up front in providing
> the descriptive comment in Jira saves time for everyone else later.
> Thanks,
> Dan.

View raw message