db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unified DataSource API
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 23:18:15 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> From: "Jeremy Boynes" <jboynes@apache.org>
>
>>The advantage of a unified model is that there is only one
>>implementation *within Derby.* Having multiple ones for one product
>>depending on the JVM and transport in use is just confusing.
>

> I think another problem with a unified implementation is that
> the various DataSource interfaces (DataSource, ConnectionPoolDataSource
> and XADataSource) are not related, and even have different signatures.

Indeed, and one of the things that started this was that because of this
their implementations should not extend the DataSource implementation
(see the "DataSource class hierarchy" thread)

If you look at the code you'll see that these now extend a JavaBean base
class that just defines the common properties but the specializations
themselves are separate. What we have done is unify the client and
embedded implementations of Pooled and XA.

--
Jeremy