db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unified DataSource API
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 20:16:01 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> From: "Jeremy Boynes" <jboynes@apache.org>
>
>>With the JDBC 2.0 extension and 3.0, DataSource became available as the
>>preferred mechanism. Ideally this would be via JNDI lookup (although
>>there is no standard provider and/or location for the binding in J2SE),
>>but as an alternative configuration can now be done using standard
>>JavaBean semantics (e.g. hard coding get/set calls, serialization (.ser
>>file), XML storage, reflection in conjunction with PropertyEditors,
>>etc.) This provides much more flexibility than specialized Driver code.
>

> I think there is already a solution for this - to use a framework such as
> Spring. DataSources can presumably be registered as beans, and injected
> into client code without any need to know what the implementation looks
> like.

Yes - in most cases (J2EE or with a framework like Spring) the user will
  never actually see the underlying implementation and would only be
using the DataSource interface. This is the usage model recommended in
the spec.

However, in some cases the application code will be creating the
connection factory directly. I continue to believe this is easier using
the JavaBean model with a DataSource implementation than with the legacy
DriverManager model.

--
Jeremy