db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Regression testing
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 18:10:36 GMT

Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 11:00 AM, David Van Couvering wrote:
>
>> Again, I'm not sure why there would be "lots of emails" for a nightly
>> build.  Also, if we email failures, that would be great, as I know I
>> personally won't be checking the test web site on a regular basis.
>

> Let's get hypothetical and say 2 derby-dev'rs decide to run the tests
> nightly against their own builds (on whatever platform/jdk revision
> they're interested in) and send the output to the list. Now, make that
> 5. or 10. Imagine if, by accident, someone checks in a change that
> happens to breaks all of the tests, and we have 5 people sending their
> test result failures to the list. Suddenly, 300 people have 100
> megabytes of test diffs in their inbox. Not fun.

Oh, OK, I wasn't thinking about it that way.  I was thinking there is
one official nightly run of regression tests, and a report is sent out
by email.  This report would include all covered platforms.  I wasn't
thinking of this as a distributed job.

But you're probably right, it makes more sense to distribute the work,
and have separate derby-devrs to choose the platforms they are
interested in, and have a common web site where the results are posted...

> But, what if instead derby-dev'r X running tests on platform Y and JDK Z
> posts to the list with "there is a serious failure going on, I think
> it's due to {whatever} and here's a link to the failure information:
> .... " - that's a lot more useful then automatic notification, even in
> the case of failure. And, with a page on the website that can collect
> the locations of where specific platform/jvm tests are running, at least
> all of that useful test information is available without derby-dev
> receiving a lot of email that is only of interest to a small subsection
> of people. If there are serious issues on a specific platform/jvm, then
> the people responsible for those tests can provide a more detailed
> description and bug report to derby-dev than if a failure notification
> is mailed to the list.  Well, that's my opinion, anyway
>
>> Well, it seems to me you just have a cycle of "pull, build, full
>> regresssions, post results."  If we have a powerful enough machine, it
>> shouldn't take that long, and we'd have fresh results every, say, four
>> hours.  Not bad!
>>
>> If we want a faster turnaround, we could, as you suggest, identify a
>> subset of tests.
>

> I don't think four hours for a full build/test cycle is unreasonable for
> a tinderbox, and I think with fairly recent hardware and the relaxed
> durability option for testing, that the time for a full build/test cycle
> could probably be quite a bit less than that, probably around two hours
> on top-of-the-line hardware. i.e. I think that running the full test
> suite in a tinderbox approach is a better idea than a subset of the tests.

OK, I think we're in agreement here then...  Now it's just a mere matter
of implementing it :)

Thanks,

David