db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [doc] Proposal to move 10.0 doc files from derby/site to derby/docs
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 00:15:23 GMT
I realized last week that the DITA docs can't be used to replace the
files that were originally contributed. We need a permanent solution for
the original files for the reasons outlined in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200505.mbox/%3c4280D846.70901@bristowhill.com%3e

.

I propose moving the files out of derby/site and into some location
under derby/docs, create a mini forrest site, copy the results of the
forrest build to incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0, then link to it
from the derby web site just like we do for the 10.1 DITA docs.

Here's a protype site with a first shot of what it would look like:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/

1) What difference will end users encounter?

a) Since the original files will no longer be integrated with the
current web site, users won't see "Home" and "Community" tabs on each
page; instead, they'll see a tab that takes them to the main derby site.
To see the difference, compare this old page with the proposed new:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/develop/develop15.html
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/develop/develop15.html

b) Old email and Jira entries that reference the old location will break
because of the addition of the "docs/10.0" path in the URL.

After the files are moved (and that change propagated to
www.apache.org), I can try to add symbolic links to the main site that
make the old URLs work again. However, this might require assistance
from infrastructure.

2) What are the actual steps to implement this change?

a) Initialize a new forrest site under
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/docs/trunk/10.0

b) svn move the subdirectories from
derby/site/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/manuals to
derby/docs/trunk/10.0/src/documentation/content/xdocs/manuals

c) Update the 10.0 doc links in
derby/site/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml to point to
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0 files instead of to
locations relative to the site source. (This is what we currently do
with the 10.1 DITA-generated docs.)

d) Create symbolic links on minotaur.apache.org between the old location
and the new so URLs in old email and Jira entries will still work.

3) Who will do this?

Jean will, with svn coordination with Andrew.

Comments?

I'm posting a much shorter version of this (minus the technical details)
to derby-user.

If there's no opposition to this strategy (and no better proposal
offered) by Friday, May 13, I'll go ahead and implement this change. I'm
opting for a lazy approach because history shows that [doc] topics often
don't get active attention.

regards,

  -jean