db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Is it time to delete web site links to the original manuals?
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:50:30 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> If anyone is really interested in making a 10.0 doc set from the DITA
> source, I can create a branch of the DITA source in
> derby/docs/branches/10.0 and then 10.1-specific changes can be removed
> from that branch. It's really easy to make a branch, so if anyone is
> actually motivated to do the work once the branch is created, let me
> know and I'll set it up.

Once I realized last Friday that the DITA source can't be used for the
10.0 docs (or at least not 'as is') I started thinking about other
strategies that would allow removing the original files from the
derby/site forrest build path.

Another option would be to move the original files into derby/docs and
build a "mini" forrest site that the main site links to just like it
links to the javadoc. Today (I hope) I'll have a prototype up of what
this would look like.

For those wondering what the reasons are for removing the original files
from the site build path, they include:

1) The roughly 750 files that comprise the original files get built with
any change to the web site, even though those files themselves are
static. It takes too long to build the site.

2) I've been suggesting workarounds for folks building the site on how
to eliminate the manuals from their current build so they can test their
own content more quickly, but it's hacky and exposes the user to more
forrest internals, tips and tricks than I think is good. (We want it to
be easy to build and maintain the site -- or, at least, I do.)

3) The site.xml file for the site is too complicated; again a barrier to
making the site easy to maintain and build.

4) Any change to the manuals tab does require rebuilding all the manual
pages -- and these get reflected in the commit records as well. For
example, the change I made on Friday that clarifies versions for the
docs resulted in over 100 commit records posted to the derby commits list.

anyhow, I'll try to get a prototype mini site up today.

  -jean