db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Solberg <Ole.Solb...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Regression testing
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 09:15:45 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On May 4, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Ole Solberg wrote:
>
>> We also build and test on a few platforms daily and could provide
>> those results.
>>
>> My level of ambition would be to just send out the results without any
>> deep analysis. (Just catching and filtering obvious local
>> setup/enviroment blunders etc.)
>>
>> I think communicating daily regression test results could be a good
>> way to present the state of Derby.
>

> It's great to hear that other derby-dev'rs are building Derby nightly
> and running the tests! I think it would be a very good thing to be
> sharing test results, but I'm a bit concerned about sending them to
> derby-dev itself. I personally feel that nightly automated mail to the
> list would simply decrease the signal-to-noise ratio on the list and be
> a bit of a nuisance (and ultimately not likely to be read). But there
> are alternatives to sending nightly test results to the list, like
> posting them in a specific location on the Derby website, as I'm
> currently doing with the doc/javadoc build. Or we could have a page on
> the Derby website with links to locations where derby-dev'rs are
> publishing their test results.

I agree that that having a page on the Derby website linking to the
actual test reports would be a much better solution than "polluting"
derby-dev with lots of e-mails.
Anyone with neccessary rights willing to create such a page?

> In an ideal situation, it would be great to have a tinderbox approach,
> as David suggested, with constantly active build/test cycles running.
> But there's always the complicated question of who's going to provide
> the hardware and put the box out on the net for all to see when going
> that route.

Which tests should be included in such an approach?
What must the maximum turnaround time for this be to be considered useful?

> andrew

-- Ole