db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Unified DataSource API
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 16:45:42 GMT
There has been a fair amount of discussion recently about keeping
compatibility between the embedded and client APIs for creating and
configuring DataSources.

We currently have three DataSource implementations:
* EmbeddedDataSource - used by the SE embedded impl
* EmbeddedSimpleDataSource - used by the JSR169/ME impl
* ClientDataSource - used by the SE client code

not including the variations for Pooled and XA connnections, or ME
support for the client.

IIRC the only one present in 10.0 was the EmbeddedDataSource so before
we finalize 10.1 I think we should reexamine whether this is the way to go.

As an alternative I would suggest as single unified DataSource that
works in conjunction with a connection-factory to create connections and
a reference-factory to create References for binding into JNDI.

This would give us one public implementation of DataSource, simplifying
the API for users and improving compatibility across environments. For
example, the same application code could use either an embedded database
or a client connection automatically based on the property values supplied.

--
Jeremy