db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: ClientDataSource's implementation of Referenceable
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 16:37:41 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I was intrigued by the implementation of Referenceable in the client
> DataSource impl - it uses the address entries in the reference to
> store the properties of the connection.
>
> I may be misunderstanding this but I thought address fields in a
> Reference were used to store multiple potential locations for that
> reference not properties of an individual one.

I am sorry that I cannot provide any insight on why the DataSource
implementations  implement Rerferenceable, except to say that I think
it is good that you seem to be taking  a fresh look at it in terms of
what  we need for Derby.

> I would suggest instead that we use one StringRefAddr to store the
> address with the value being a URL with suitable parameters set (i.e.
> as used by the Driver).
>
> Ultimately, this will allow us to have references that point to
> multiple addresses (e.g. in a federated server)

Just some questions. Not educated enough in this area to comment yet #:)
Could you explain the federated scenario  in more detail and how the
referenceable DataSource would come into play?  Also my JS169 red flag
went up when I saw "URL"  and "Driver".  I was wondering are there
JSR169 implications in doing this?

Thanks

Kathey