db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Schedule for beta and release of 10.1
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 10:22:18 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> However, I do not want to rush out the first version of the client as
> that will suddenly give us a legacy codebase. We have only just seen
> this code and there are a couple of areas that we should consider:
>
> * which JREs will it run on
> * do we need JSR-169 support
> * what are the plans for SSL transport, including client auth
> * what do we do with Referenceable
> * what are our plans for connector support
> * do we have the right properties
> * do we change the commmand line processing for NetworkServer
>
> and probably a few more things as well. We don't need to resolve all
> of these but at least figure out what the plan is.

Other areas of discussion for client
*  what are the differences between cliient and embedded?
.  It would be nice to identify and document differences in the client
behaviour as areas that  may change in the future to match embedded.
(e.g. SQLStates)

*  what is our backward/forward compatibility policy?
    How long should new client versions work with old servers? How long
should new servers work with old clients?

* what are our plans for globalization?
    Right now the client only has English messages.

Kathey