db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reformat client code?
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 22:35:07 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Hey, thanks I think I will take you up on that. It was the patch I sent
> to the list last week for DERBY-250.
> Dan said he didn't have any additional issues with it, so I think it is
> ready to go in.

OK

> I  better get my paintbrush fixed up so my patches match our new shed.
> I am not sure though if I get the  complete story of indentation format
> etc by reading this file.  I could look at the code and try to figure it
> out but would feel better if you could just tell us what this means in
> terms of indentation space/vs tabs etc, so everyone knows how to set up
> their editor for client coding.  The sad thing is that it looks quite
> different than the server conventions which use tabs instead of spaces
> so I guess I need two modes still  #:(

Tabs suck. OK, I got that off my chest :-)

The big issue with tabs is that how things indent depend on how tab
stops are set up in the editor - which everyone sets to 2, 3 or 4 and
then when you cat something to the terminal (e.g. with a diff) they come
out as 8 messing everything up. With spaces there is no ambiguity.

The formatter strips tabs completely and then indents code in 4 space
chunks as appropriate.

I would offer to reformat the server as well but am nervous to suggest
it as it would introduce large cosmetic differences between trunk and
the 10.0 branch that would make backporting patches difficult. Avoiding
that with the client codetree was one reason for doing this early.

--
Jeremy