db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please add descriptive Jira comments when fixing bugs
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 03:36:18 GMT

On May 11, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Actually, I think my "resolving" these doc issues when all I have done
> is apply the posted patch is completely incorrect.
>
> Probably the correct action is to add a comment that the patch was
> applied. Then whomever reported the problem needs to verify that the
> patch fixed the issue, then resolve the issue as 'fixed'.
>
> right?

I'm not sure what exactly the best way to go would be. That doesn't
sound bad, but it would be nice to have descriptive comments in svn as
well, provided by whomever made the fix. I usually copy/paste a summary
from the mail with the patch. If you don't get the comments for patches
that were attached to jira entries until after the patch has been
submitted, then adding those comments to svn requires an extra step,
editing the svn log entry. For reference, that can be done with:

svn propedit --revprop -r 169667 svn:log

> also, one patch per commit would be best, right? I realized that after
> committing three patches in one lump.

Yes, the most important reason being that it can be impossible to
determine what changes correspond to which issues if the files are all
lumped together in one commit.

> If the corresponding html file is also posted, along with the dita
> file, the
> change can be reviewed before the patch gets applied. Now's a good time
> for establishing preferences for handling doc issues and we can easily
> update
> the web site with more amplified steps to follow.

+1. It's not terribly difficult to generate the docs from the DITA
source, so providing sample output with doc changes would be nice.

andrew