db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regression testing
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 08:18:03 GMT

On May 4, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Ole Solberg wrote:

> We also build and test on a few platforms daily and could provide
> those results.
>
> My level of ambition would be to just send out the results without any
> deep analysis. (Just catching and filtering obvious local
> setup/enviroment blunders etc.)
>
> I think communicating daily regression test results could be a good
> way to present the state of Derby.

It's great to hear that other derby-dev'rs are building Derby nightly
and running the tests! I think it would be a very good thing to be
sharing test results, but I'm a bit concerned about sending them to
derby-dev itself. I personally feel that nightly automated mail to the
list would simply decrease the signal-to-noise ratio on the list and be
a bit of a nuisance (and ultimately not likely to be read). But there
are alternatives to sending nightly test results to the list, like
posting them in a specific location on the Derby website, as I'm
currently doing with the doc/javadoc build. Or we could have a page on
the Derby website with links to locations where derby-dev'rs are
publishing their test results.

In an ideal situation, it would be great to have a tinderbox approach,
as David suggested, with constantly active build/test cycles running.
But there's always the complicated question of who's going to provide
the hardware and put the box out on the net for all to see when going
that route.

andrew