db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dibyendu Majumdar" <dibye...@mazumdar.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Unified DataSource API
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 21:40:29 GMT
From: "Jeremy Boynes" <jboynes@apache.org>
> However, in some cases the application code will be creating the
> connection factory directly. I continue to believe this is easier using
> the JavaBean model with a DataSource implementation than with the legacy
> DriverManager model.

I think that building a unified DataSource API will actually not help
very much because the problem is that there is no standard interface for a
DataSource anyway. Even if Derby had a unified API, you still have to deal
with
differences in other DBMS implementations. So, in the end, the fact that
Derby has different DataSource implementations is not disimilar to the
situation where one has to deal with differences between the various
DBMS vendors.

I have myself found it frustrating that there isn't a standard API
for DataSources. It seems that the designers assumed you would always
use JNDI, and did not really cater for J2SE or non-J2EE requirements.

Regards