db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby-1 and Mac OS X
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:23:54 GMT
Since it's April 29th where I am, I think it's safe for me to report
that the latest version of Mac OS X - 10.4, aka "Tiger" - contains a
fix for Derby-1. Here's the original Jira report:

The good news is that Derby now works without modification or setting
system properties on Mac OS X 10.4, and more importantly, tests
indicate that using "rws" and "rwd" modes for RandomAccessFiles results
in data being written synchronously to disk as expected. Tests results
using Jan Hlavaty's iotest program are attached at the end of this
email. Kudos to Apple's JVM team for fixing the problem, and fixing it
properly.

But, this does not mean that Derby-1 is resolved. If the longevity of
Mac OS X 10.2 is any indication, Mac OS X 10.3 ("Panther") will be
around for quite a while, and Derby-1 will continue to be a problem for
developers and users of Derby there. In the original discussions from
last September and October, several resolutions for the bug were
proposed. Allow me to restate what appear to be the alternatives in
dealing with this bug (and other JVM issues of its kind):

1) No fix in Derby. The problem should be documented, and Derby
application developers should work around the issue in their specific
application.

2) Address the problem in Derby itself, in this case by catching the
FileNotFoundException that was thrown. Suresh Thalamati posted a patch
during the discussion of the original problem which worked around the
issue by catching the FileFoundNotException thrown by Apple's JVM.

3) Have an exclusion/inclusion list to disable/enable features for JVMs
known to have problems. An inclusion approach was proposed here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/
%3c4E01DDB4-1C9C-11D9-9D12-000A959CB3F2@mac.com%3e

and an exclusion approach was proposed here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/
%3c416E44E1.9000007@code.cz%3e

Over the course of the past six months, we've been implicitly forging
ahead with approach #1 by simply not doing anything, and it seems to be
working out, since we've not heard any further reports or discussion.

Is this the way we should continue? If so, then I think we should
consider closing Derby-1 as Won't Fix and documenting the problem in
the manuals as well as the FAQ.

Comments?

andrew

Attaching test results for Mac OS X 10.3 (panther.txt) and Mac OS X
10.4 (tiger.txt) from Jan Hlavaty's 'iotest' program: