db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What dependencies does Derby have on other Apache software?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:46:49 GMT
To clarify my statement on project dependencies (as I received a
private email making it clear that I was unclear):

I think that Derby has grown a large and diverse community around
itself. Projects dependent upon derby, be they ASF or otherwise, have a
significant second-order effect on the project's truck number. Other
ASF projects dependent on Derby are a useful metric here as we are
familiar with those projects, to a greater or lesser degree.

Things Derby depends on (except from the licensing and technical points
of view) are not particularly relevant to estimating Derby's viability
(1), but things dependent upon Derby are quite relevant to estimating
Derby's viability. If you throw away good will and solely base
motivation on need, projects which have healthy communities which rely
on Derby are strongly motivated to help maintain Derby -- if the
current maintainers are incapable of doing so (otherwise most people
are happy to work on their own stuff).

That is the point I was awkwardly wandering towards. It is *not* a
substitute for the contributor/committer pool on the project itself,
but it is a relevant measure of the developer community invested in
Derby.

-Brian

Notes:

(1) It is an interesting measure of the branching out of Derby
contributors to other ASF projects, though, if just from a community
contact point POV. Mapping communities and understanding them is an
interesting exercise.