db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lock-free and wait-free concurrency
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:03:46 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I was looking to see if "++" was atomic (as I suspected it's not) and I
> found this very interesting article from the Blue Guys about
> java.util.concurrent.atomic in JDK 1.5.  I am not an expert in locking,
> but this looked very interesting.  Has anybody looked at this?  Could
> Derby take advantage of this?
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp11234/
>
> David

I think there is a lot of stuff in j.u.concurrent that Derby could use,
if only we could get a 1.5 version going ;-)

With the 1.1 J2ME profiles that support the 1.4 APIs now in PFD perhaps
we should look at the platform roadmap going forward. Perhaps a split
would be appropriate between a platform for embedded devices (based on
CDC 1.1 and JSR-169) with little concurrent access and limited resources
and multi-user standalone/J2EE servers (based on 1.5) optimized for high
concurrent access with unconstrained resources.

--
Jeremy