db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Use of 3rd party libraries
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:40:33 GMT

David Van Couvering wrote:

> A quick look at java.ext.dirs seems to indicate the intention for this
> is for packages with the root javax.*, which are specifically defined
> as extensions of J2SE.  Is this really the right place to put things
> like third-party JAR files?

I believe it is one option (but as you indicate, not the only option)
and the J2EE 1.4 specs now allow for this .
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/extensions/extensions.html  is
a good source of info on this topic
.

> The approach I have seen is you write your own classloader that then
> uses a property to load classes from jar files stored in a particular
> directory.  If I remember right, BEA's app server used to do this,
> quite nice.

J2EE 1.4  added  the optional package support feature to make things
easier to support things such as frameworks.  Previously it was a
nightmare dealing with this.

I know we always dump the JDBC drivers into the appservers configured
lib/ext directory.

Regards
Lance