db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of 3rd party libraries
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:16:32 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I like code reuse rather than having to write and maintain our own work.
>  That's a big pull of open source is building from what others have
> done.  I vote for including the libraries in derby.jar, rather than
> having jar-file explosion.

The reuse aspect is really why I want to explore this. Re-implementing
everything in Derby may be OK for simple stuff like command line parsing
but will be problematic for more complex things like JMX.

The open community aspect should not be underestimated - a project that
refuses to even consider other open source solutions will very rapidly
become isolated.

I would not recommend bundling things inside derby.jar as that leads to
classes being loaded from unexpected places (e.g. I would not expect
org.apache.commons.cli.Something to come from derby.jar).

> One concern is making sure we include third-party stuff with compatible
> licensing.  What is the process for making we don't get into some legal
> tangle?

The ASF has strict policies on what can be used by ASF projects to
ensure that the final distribution is compatible with the Apache
License. This basically comes down to only being able to use other
software if its license is no more restrictive than the Apache License.

--
Jeremy