db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Use of 3rd party libraries
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 04:53:14 GMT
I would like to raise the issue of using 3rd party libraries with Derby.

For example, in another thread we are talking about command line
interfaces. Traditionally Derby has implemented all its own parsing for
this included in the main or tool jar. A lot of other Apache projects
use commons-cli which is a small (<32k) library that implements this
functionality; using this would save coding but create an external
dependency.

I would be interested in the community's view on using this type of
library code. Should we:

a) stick with what is done now and use our own versions

b) use external libraries and require the user to make sure they are
    available (e.g. are on the classpath)

c) use external libraries and a manifest class-path entry to ensure
    they are included

d) have the build include the library content in derby.jar

e) some other alternative

--
Jeremy