db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Question about softupgrade mode ..
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:00:42 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> TomohitoNakayama wrote:
>

>>Now, I came to thought changing DefaultInfo have more impact than
>>adding column to SYSCOLUMNS table ....
>>//I wishes that DefaultInfo existed in either case of autoinrement and
>>default !!!
>>
>>Thinking the autoincrement is one kind of default, I think approach of
>>adding attributes of autoincrement to DefaultInfo is not bad.
>>However , thinking impact of that modification, I think I MUST be at a
>>loss correctly and find the answer for that.
>>

> If it makes it easier, I personally, think that it would be fine to add
> another column  using the same model as the other autoincrement
> information.  Then,  they all can be rolled into DefaultInfo later as
> part of a separate cleanup task.

I think adding extra information to the DefaultInfo is the correct way
and is the way the system was designed. The column's definition is
through the interface DefaultInfo, thus allowing different object
implementations to be stored in the column, representing additional
information as needed.

Adding a system column with the intention of removing it later as
cleanup just seems wrong, I think it is better to take the extra time up
front to address the issue in the best way.

Dan.