db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Adding new documentation for debugging test failures in the test framework
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:49:25 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

>And here are my 2 cents as to the contents:

[snip lot's of really great comments.from Myrna..]

Thank you Myrna for generating the html and reviewing this document.

For the most part I will defer to Myrna's excellent comments for this
round of review, but in addition, I  have just a general concern about
using the direct wording from my email.  Some of it  is not complete
sentences and also could be rephrased to  make it more informative.

For example in step 5
current:
    Go fix it !!!
suggested:
     Try to make a small reproducible case in the form of a java program
or small ij script script and debug the failure.

current:
    Someone else's test failure all together. Look at the recent check
ins and try to guess the culprit and post
suggested:
    The failure is not related to your change.  Look at the recent
checking and try to guess the source.  Then post a query to the list.

Also I think that it would be very helpful for you to iterate over the
process a few times to make sure that  it really works.
A good way to do this would be to try running some tests that don't
currently run against derby client.  Try any of the tests in the
derbylang suite, which are not listed in derbynetclientmats.runall.  Try
to isolate specific problems and file Jira cases  for the issues you
find and include a small repro.   Incorporate what you learned back into
the document.

I am hoping also that some of the new folks on the list might be able
to  try to use the document and provide feedback, once you have
addressed Myrna's comments and the formatting and wording  issues.
Please post the html with your next submission to make it easier to
review and easier for folks to try it out.

Thanks

Kathey