db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Getting involved by reviewing patches
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:44:33 GMT

Shreyas once wrote:

> Did you have a chance to look into this [patch]?

[detail of patches removed]

One of the ways to start getting involved with Derby would be to review
patches that are sent to the list or those committed directly (subscribe
to the derby-commits list). Maybe this would be a good step before
trying to work on any bug fix, or even while you are working on a bug
fix or feature.

Even if you don't understand the code to start with, it may be a good
place to start learning. Look at the problem being addressed, see what
changes were made, how they fit into the surrounding code, and how well
the contributor explained the patches.

If after looking at the change you still don't understand it, that may
be an indication that something is wrong with the patch. Based upon my
experience, if a change cannot be well explained, then there is a good
chance the coder has not really understood what was going on.

- Feel free to ask questions.
- Point out places where you think more code comments would be useful
for future readers of the code.
- If something seems wrong to you, bring it up for discussion, don't
assume that it must be right because you might not understand it, it
might just be wrong.
- Feel free to point out a simpler way, simple is always better.

Lets get all those eyeballs on Derby's code!
Dan.