db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: DERBY-31: setQueryTimeout semantics
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:22:41 GMT
Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM skrev:
> I'll write a test program that will time the execute and fetch
> operations on certain long-running queries, run with and without a
> specific query timeout set. Based on these timings, it should be
> possible to analyze the cancellation strategy (if any) used by a certain
> vendor.

I've attached the following:
* SQL queries that cause long-running executes and unpredictable fetch
times.
* Sample program that executes these queries and times them.
* Results from a test run of this program on my machine.

Notice that the call to Statement.setQueryTimeout() is commented out,
since in Derby this throws an exception. If anyone wants to run this
program with query timeout enabled on other DB vendors and post the
results, I'd be delighted. That would help build understanding of how
others do it.

Any feedback is welcome.

--
Øyvind Bakksjø
Sun Microsystems, Web Services, Database Technology Group