db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Features: Tablepartitioning, Tablespaces and replication and Loadbalancing
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:56:00 GMT
What I meant to say is that I don't see much of a benefit to doing
physical table partitioning at the derby software layer, I think it
is best done at the hardware level.  By physical I mean the usual
disk striping provided by OS or RAID technology.

Logical table partitioning may be useful (partitioning a table by some
sort of logical key), but not until derby is
enhanced to use more than one thread to process a single query.
And if this enhancement was done, table partitioning might not be
necessary, as current indexes could be used to partition the data
logically - and hardware level physical partitioning could be used to
scale the I/O throughput.

One of the reasons that current databases have database level partitioning
is that the software was written before physical partitioning was
freely available in modern OS's and cheap RAID hardware.  I believe they
had to write their own file systems, at least for some OS
implementations - so the OS could not be used to do physical striping.

Currently Derby only uses one thread per connection to execute queries,
so if there is no change in this area table partitioning does not help.
If you have multiple threads accessing the one big table, then hardware
level partitioning will probably help to avoid I/O bottlenecks just as
well as logical table partitioning.

I agree that getting query processing to be able to process a single
query across multiple threads to scale on multi-processors is an
interesting and useful feature.