db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Podling status reports
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:45:25 GMT

Every month, a subset of the Apache top-level projects are required
to submit status reports to the ASF board.  The incubator project is
a little different, since it's a project of projects, and reports
every single month.

For a normal top-level project, the project chair assembles and
submits the report.  For the incubator, the incubator chair pulls
together reports from all of the active podlings and rolls that
up.

So once a month each podling needs to submit a status report to the
general@incubator.apache.org list.  The incubator chair typically
sends a reminder to that list a few days before the reports are due.

All the report really needs to be is a few paragraphs describing
significant activities and accomplishments since the last report.
There's no specific individual responsible for doing this; the
report should be assembled on the dev discussion list.  Examples
from other podlings can be seen on the general@incubator.apache.org
list as an aid to building our own.

Something as simple as:

"Since our last report, the Derby podling has accepted an additional
committer and made another interim software release.  The mailing
lists continue active, and high-energy discussions have included
X, Y, and Z.  We decided that Y was worth pursuing.

"We feel that Derby is essentially ready to graduate from the incubator,
lacking only a sufficient diversity of committers.  The progress
on that front is blah blah blah.

"<something about the pending client contribution>"

And that's basically it.

Basing this at least in part on the STATUS file is typical.  Posting
a draft to the dev list a few days before it's due allows everyone a chance
to offer suggestions or note things that got missed.

Who does all this is a self-selecting thing.  It is preferable for
someone to take the initiative rather than everyone expecting someone
else to do it.  That, too, is a sign of a healthy community.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"