db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: possible bug: "FOR UPDATE" required for updateable result set?
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:32:44 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see the following error message which I suspect to be wrong, I will
> file a JIRA issue if this is the case, but I would like your opinion first.
<snip>
> I need to modify the SELECT statement to include a "FOR UPDATE" clause
> for the update via cursor to work.
>
> In section 14.2.4.1 "Updating a row" in the JDBC 3.0 specification,
> the example shown does not specify "FOR UPDATE" in the SELECT. Neither
> does my ODBC book in a similar case.
>
> "FOR UPDATE" is intended for SQL cursors and should *not* be required
> in this case. (It is a <dynamic select statement> == <cursor
> specification> in the SQL standard).
<snip>

Technically I wonder if this is covered by the JDBC standard, I see
nothing in the JDBC 3.0 that states any requirements for the SQL
statement for an updateable result set. I know the JDBC tutorial book
has some guidelines as to what will typically work, but isn't it up to
the database engine to define what works here?

Having said that I think that not requiring the FOR UPDATE would be a
useful improvement, but I wouldn't categorize it as a bug.

Dan.