db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: more background threads
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 04:54:02 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> OK...  I'm still trying to get clear on your concepts and terms -- how
> is a "system" defined?  I'm thinking "all of Derby" within a given VM?

Correct. A system corresponds to the loading of Derby's JDBC driver
within a JVM, a system can have multiple databases open within that JVM.

> Before I spend a lot more time on this: are there other things that are
> reasonable in scale and scope you could really use my help on that are
> generally felt to be of higher priority?  I don't need to spend a lot of
> time on this if it currently works pretty well and is not causing a lot
> of pain or problems...

Apart from fixing the issue of too many Java threads when a large number
of databases are active, I see the cleanup in this area as a step
towards supporting:

 - timed events - java.util.TimerTask integration, for setQueryTimeout
at least

 - Serviceable items that can be executed during idle time, e.g.
background data flushing, space reclaimation, background statistics
gathering, etc.

While these items could be fitted into the current scheme, I think a
cleanup would make it easier.

Dan.