db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Questions about "getApproximateLengthInBytes()"
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:02:38 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Now as Lance has pointed out then the JDBC metadata is meant to match
> the ODBC metadata, so hopefully the complete defintion of what 'length'
> means in each case can be found.

Does this mean that, until JDBC defines something further, it's okay to just return the values
as defined by the ODBC
specification?  If so, that'd certainly make my life easier (:), since ODBC nicely dictates
what the values are all
supposed to be in the Appendix mentioned by Lance:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbctransfer_octet_length.asp

Can I just use those values, or is that taking the expression "meant to match the ODBC metadata"
a bit too far?

> Yes, and most likely getApproximateLengthInBytes() is not correct for
> your use.

Agreed.

> Some cleanup is probably needed in Derby's internal datatypes api to
> clearly define what each get length or get size method is defined to
> return.

Is this something that should be included in the BUFFER_LENGTH patch that I'm working on,
or is this more of a "someone
should do this someday" suggestion?

Thanks for the feedback,
Army