db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject (Derby 167) was Re: [Patch] Re: About improvement of DERBY-134
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:39:25 GMT
TomohitoNakayama wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Thank for all who advise and help me !
>
> Now I'm reading code of derby here and there , and found this program
> is very attractive.
> I want to find next material for hacking :D

Hello Tomohito,

Since you are looking for a next project ,  I wanted to put a plug in
for my personal crusade for

 Derby-167.  Inserting values in an identity column.

I think would be tremendous value you in implementing this feature as
currently it is not possible to import  data to Derby  if you have an
autoincrement column and want to keep your primary keys intact.   I know
there are others who have expressed interest and would be willing to
help you in this project.     I don't want to get into too many details
on this thread outside the Jira comments but just to give you an idea,
Satheesh I think proposed a specific SQL Standard way to do this and
Mamta promised support with reviews or whatever.

I'd suggest  first submit a proposed solution to the community and get
consensus before starting to implement a solution.
I think it would be a way for you to add huge value to Derby.

Thanks

Kathey