db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "RPost" <rp0...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: DERBY-31: setQueryTimeout semantics
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 04:16:39 GMT
> "Daniel John Debrunner" wrote:

>One of the ways to make an easy
> to use database is to start with the mindset that no tuning properties
> should be allowed and work from that.

Or perhaps to start with the mindset that no tuning properties
should be 'required'. As long as they are not required I have no problem
with having properties that can be set by the user.

> I believe that Derby already has too many tuning properties and would
> like to see it move towards a single tuning property, such "how much
> memory can this database use". Everything else would be self tuned.

Would you have the same concern if the existing tuning properties were
'self tuning'? Maybe the focus should be more on making the existing
properties tune themselves rather than eliminating them altogether.