db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Darcy Benoit" <darcy.ben...@acadiau.ca>
Subject Re: Thoughts on the to-do list
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:24:06 GMT
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:36:08 -0800, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> In reexamining the to-do list I think we should consider  identifying some low hanging
fruit or mark projects as beginner, intermediate and advanced. We could add  in notes for
recommended implementation and perhaps identify  a  committer willing to volunteer not to
do the
> project but serve as mentor or consultant on the project, promising to at least respond
to questions that the implementer asks on the list if not answered by someone else, review
code submissions etc.  This way can give potential contributors the support they need to add
value to Derby and reach committer status.

Kathey,
	I must say that I really like this idea. I've been following the Derby group since the fall,
and I have been trying to find the time to get involve but have been unable to find a good
starting point. I also have a group of several undergrad and MSc students who I want to work
developing Derby (specifically from the perspective of autonomic features and performance),
but don't really know where to get them to start. A list of small targets with identified
help would make it easier for people to get their feet wet working on the code and lead to
more contributions. Anything that can help people who have never been involved in an open
source project would be useful.

darcy

--
http://cs.acadiau.ca/~dbenoit/