db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:46:11 GMT

On Mar 2, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>> I think the source DITA files should be checked into the source code
>>> tree, under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/trunk/,
>>> and any built product (pdf, html) should be checked into the web
>>> site under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk .
>> +1. I think the source for the documentation should be versioned
>> along with the code that it documents.
>
> This sounds good to me. If you want to set something up and tell me
> where to check files in, I can start importing the DITA files (or you
> can, if you prefer, just let me know.)
>
> --Assuming there aren't any objections, of course.
>
>> This brings up several other question: should we have a copy of the
>> built documentation checked in with the source for developer
>> reference or only keep a copy in derby/site?
>
> If source for docs is versioned then it might be useful to retain the
> built doc for it.

Considering that we might keep a built copy in code, I would suggest
the following layout underneath derby/code/trunk and
derby/code/branches/10.0:

docs/src - XML DITA source, and DTD's / XSL files if the license for
those files is compatible, along with detailed instructions on how to
build the final output from the source.
docs/html - built html user documentation (as monolithic HTML files)
docs/pdf - built PDF documentation

The vote to accept DITA as the source format for the documentation was
approved. I don't see a problem with going ahead and checking in the
source to the repository, but perhaps you should give some more time
for comment before checking them in.

Do you know if the license for the DITA DTD's and the XSL files that
should be used to build the final output are compatible with the ASL?

andrew